Elena V. Govsh, Doctor of clinical laboratory diagnostics, Mordovian Republican Clinical Psychiatric Hospital (Zvezdny settlement, Lyambirskydistrict, Republic of Mordovia, Russia), E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Svetlana V. Kiryukhina, Doctor of medical sciences, аssociate рrofessor of the sub-department of neural diseases and psychiatry, Ogarev Mordovia State University (68 Bolshevistskaya street, Saransk, Russia), E-mail: email@example.com
Vyacheslav G. Podsevatkin, Doctor of medical sciences, professor, head of the sub-department of neural diseases and psychiatry, Ogarev Mordovia State University (68 Bolshevistskaya street, Saransk, Russia), E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dmitriy A. Labunskiy, Candidate of medical sciences, аssociate рrofessor of the sub-department of neural diseases and psychiatry, Ogarev Mordovia State University (68 Bolshevistskaya street, Saransk, Russia), E-mail: email@example.com
Viktor A. Kolmykov, Assistant of the sub-department of neural diseases and psychiatry, Ogarev Mordovia State University (68 Bolshevistskaya street, Saransk, Russia), E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Background. The development of new approaches to the therapy of dissociative disorders, taking into account the pathogenetic mechanisms in their formation, is an urgent task of psychopharmacology. The purpose of this work is to study the effect of complex therapy with the use of antihypoxants on the dynamics of blood gas parameters in various forms of borderline hysterical disorders in comparison with psychopharmacological treatment.
Materials and methods. The study involved 118 patients with borderline hysterical disorders in the framework of hysterical neurosis, hysterical personality development, and hysterical psychopathy in the decompensation stage, randomized into two groups depending on therapy. In one group, patients received treatment with psychopharmacological drugs, in the other, complex therapy using hyperbaric oxygenation, an antioxidant. On the 1st, 10th and 20th days of the study, the parameters of blood acid-base balance were determined in all patients: pH, pCO2, pO2, HCO3.
Results. On admission to inpatient treatment at the Mordovian Republican Clinical Psychiatric Hospital Municipal Budgetary Health Institution, patients suffering from various forms of dissociative hysterical disorders, unidirectional, but different degrees of severity, changes in the blood gas composition in the form of a decrease in the partial pressure of carbon dioxide and oxygen, an increase in pH blood. By the 10th day of traditional psychopharmacotherapy in all groups of hysterical disorders, an increase in the partial tension of CO2 and a decrease in the blood pH level were recorded, the imbalance of plasma concentrations of which, like hypoxemia, persisted on the 20th day of treatment. The use of antihypoxants in the complex treatment of hysterical disorders also led to an increase in the partial tension of pCO2 and a decrease in blood pH on the 10th day of the study; however, by the 20th day of treatment, these parameters were restored to the level of healthy donors, including the level of partial oxygen tension.
Conclusions. The positive dynamics of the indicators of the acid-base state (CBS) of blood plasma when using complex therapy with hyperbaric oxygenation and mexidol indicates the involvement of oxygen-dependent mechanisms in the pathogenesis of dissociative disorders, which allows recommending antihypoxants in the treatment of borderline hysterical disorders in order to stop the hypoxic factor.
1. Aleksandrovskiy Yu.A. Pogranichnye psikhicheskie rasstroystva: rukovodstvo dlya vrachey. 4-e izd., pererab. i dop. = Borderline mental disorders: guide for physicians. 4th edition, reviewed and added. Moscow: GEOTAR-Media, 2007:720. (In Russ.)
2. Mashkovskiy M.D. Lekarstvennye sredstva. 16-e izd., pererab. i dop. = Medicines. 16th edition, revied and added. Moscow: Novaya volna, 2017:1216. (In Russ.)
3. Gorozhanin V.S., Maksimova M.I. Oxygen consumption in patients with neuroses. Zhurnal nevrologii i psikhiatrii imeni S. S. Korsakova = S. S. Korsakov Journal of Neurology and Psychiatry. 1995;95(6):48–51. (In Russ.)
4. Churkin E.A. Primenenie giperbaricheskoy oksigenatsii v psikhiatricheskoy praktike: metod. rekomend. = The use of hyperbaric oxygenation in psychiatric practice: study recommendations. Moscow, 1994:25. (In Russ.)
5. Podsevatkin V.G. [et al.]. Chapter 12. Hyperbaric oxygenation in psychiatry. Rukovodstvo po giperbaricheskoy meditsine = Hyperbaric medicine guide. Moscow: Meditsina, 2008:560. (In Russ.)
6. Efimov O.E., Andreyko M.F., Efremov V.P., Chuyko L.V., Pavlenko S.I., Shevchenko I.Yu. Hyperbaric oxygenation in the complex treatment of neuroses. Giperbaricheskaya fiziologiya i meditsina = Hyperbaric physiology and medicine. 1997;1:3–4. (In Russ.)
7. Efuni S.N. The body’s response to hyperbaric oxygenation. Organizm v usloviyakh giperbarii = The organism in conditions of hyperbaria. Leningrad, 1984:27–30. (In Russ.)
8. Gafiyatullina G.Sh. [et al.] Fizioterapiya: ucheb. posobie = Physiotherapy: textbook. Moscow: GEOTAR-Media, 2010:272. (In Russ.)
9. Kiryukhina S.V. Eksperimental'no-klinicheskoe obosnovanie patogeneticheskoy farmakologicheskoy korrektsii obsessivno-fobicheskikh, konversionnykh, astenicheskikh rasstroystv: avtoref. dis. d-ra med. nauk = Experimental and clinical substantiation of pathogenetic pharmacological correction of obsessive-phobic, conversion, asthenic disorders: author’s abstract of dissertation to apply for the degree of the doctor of medical sciences. Saransk, 2010:40. (In Russ.)
10. Mukhachev S.N. Izuchenie effektivnosti giperbaricheskoy oksigenatsii v lechenii smeshannogo trevozhnogo i depressivnogo rasstroystva: avtoref. dis. kand. med. nauk = Studying the effectiveness of hyperbaric oxygenation in the treatment of mixed anxiety and depressive disorder: author’s abstract of dissertation to apply for the degree of the candidate of medical sciences. Moscow, 2011:22. (In Russ.)
11. Balykova L.A., Garina S.V., Nazarova I.S., Belkina N.R., Sergeeva Ya.R. A new method for pharmacological correction of posthypoxic cardiopathy in newborns. Meditsinskiy sovet = Medical advice. 2018;2:19–25. (In Russ.)
12. Eovaldi B., Zanetti C. Hyperbaric oxygen ameliorates worsening signs and symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder. Neuropsychiatric Disease and Treatment. 2010;6:785–789.
13. Kanaan R.A.A., Craig T.K.J. Conversion disorder and the trouble with trauma. Psychol Med. 2019;49(10):1585–1588. doi:10.1017/S0033291719000990
14. Colin A., Ross M.D. Borderline Personality Disorder and Dissociation. Journal of Trauma & Dissociation. 2007;8(1):71–80.
15. Patent 2364422/23 Russian Federation. Sposob lecheniya paranoidnoy formy shizofrenii v debyute zabolevaniya = Method for the treatment of paranoid form of schizophrenia at the onset of the disease. Kiryukhina S. V., Podsevatkin G. V., Podsevatkina S. V.; patentee of the Ogarev Mordovia State University; appl. 09.06.2008; publ. 20.08.2009. (In Russ.)
16. Labunskiy D., Kiryukhina S., Podsevatkin V. Hyperbaric oxygenation in treatment of tourette disease in comparison with medication therapy and their influence of immunity parameters. European Journal of Neurology. 2019;26(1):949–949.
17. Labunskiy D., Kiryukhina S., Podsevatkin V. Comparison of experimental cellular and molecular therapy in motor neuron disease. European Journal of Neurology. 2019;26(1):829–829.
18. Labunskiy D., Kiryukhina S. ALS patient in Cinema: “The Theory of Everything” and Stephen Hawking. European Journal of Neurology. 2019;26(1):428–428.